Saturday, December 24, 2011

Garden State

Mad movie. If you liked Napoleon Dynamite and wish it had more of a serious message, or if you liked Little Miss Sunshine and wish it wasn't so depressing, Garden State is the bang on target in the middle.
Zach Braff describes the themes of the movie as "love, for lack of a better term. And it's a movie about awakening. It's a movie about taking action. It's a movie about how life is short, go for it now. My character says, 'I'm 26 years old, and I've spent my whole life waiting for something else to start. Now I realize that this is all there is, and I'm going to try to live my life like that'".
I love movies that are quirky and funny in ways that are dark, morbid and awkward. It's easy to make people laugh with common slap stick humour which is probably why I despise those kinds of movies. Dark humour is intelligent humour and I found this movie did it really well.
Dad to estranged son, Andrew: We need to talk
Andrew: What, how? Ahh.. I mean, when?
Andrew is a quiet, awkward young man returning to his home town to attend the funeral of his mum. He meets with his simple and equally awkward teenage friends and falls in love with a girl who in the end of the movie makes everything right for him.
Girl: How do you feel?
Andrew: Safe. At home.
It's an 'awwwwww' moment minus the corny and you know when corny doesnt happen, its a genuine moment. The songs fit the scenes most appropriately and all collectively make an appealing soundtrack. I dont listen to soft cock rock or slow house but I'm going to download the soundtrack and be reminded of the Garden State.
Coldplay - Don't Panic Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line Lebanese Blonde - Thievery Corporation

No comments:

Post a Comment