Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Milk Fish

Glorious foods. I'm staying in the home of tita Edna and tito manual. I'm sleeping in Sheila and nannahs room. Today i had rice three timed today, what is this strange habit? Landed in manila airport and ate chicken joy at jollibe, its two fried chickens w gravy and a rice patty. Cost 130 pesos which equals ~$4 AUD. You appreciate the work of a communication designer when your in a.world class airport like Changi Singapore, directions are clear and found almost immediately. Manila airport lacked communication design especially at the terminal three when flocks of impatient and luggage .... You know what, Im top sleepy to continue my sentence. Good night people
_______________________
Day One
Visit SM (Shoe Mart) Mall
Purchases: Scar cream for my nose peircing to shut my mum up about taking it off for the wedding. Even if I take it out there will still be the scar, so perhaps if I get rid of the scar then I can keep the pericing in. If Nannah asks me to take it out I will..but onnly because she asked me too, I'd need to find a little plastic rod to replace the piercing for the day though because I'm pretty sure the sneaky thing will want to close up. I'm not meant to use this cream on open wounds like my piercing, but I'm desperate and the experimental type. 990 Pesos equals about $22 AUD. The Australian dollar is going good against the philippine peso. $1AUD = 45 peso compared to 40 peso four years ago. Woo Hoo! more bang for my dollar
I also bought a tee shirt with an optical illusion print. 200 Pesos = $4.45AUD I realise how much I've underpacked. Lucky I threw in that extra dress last minute. For three weeks I brought three tops, two shorts, one pants and two dresses. The first day I sweat so much it went through my underwear. I usually wear my clothes twice before throwing them in the wash but over here, you wouldnt do it unless you had to.
I also bought a philippine Smart SIM card which is compatiable with my Optus phone. Turns out my phone wasnt unlocked. YES! To send a local or international text with Smart is 1 peso and 20 peso for one hour of internet. i have 500 peso credit.
For breakfast I ate rice with sauced prawns and sour fish soup, my favourite that papa would cook. I soak my rice with the soup and eat it with the fish and pawns.. oommmm so yummy my mouth is drooling just thinking about it. For dinner, Tita Edna grilled MILK FISH stuffed wtih sour tomatoes and onions.. the fish was held together with a wire.. strange.. using metal on the food while it cooks, my option would be string. There was also Pancit Molo, pork wontons boiled in a salty soup. I also soaked my rice in this soup.
The fish brought back childhood memories. My dad used to grill this fish. I had to be very careful because there is an unbelievable amount of bones in milk fish, more than any fish i've come across. they are so thin and short as well! those fuckers. I dropped my spoon and fork and used my hands to separate meat from bone. I also wanted to used my hands to feed myself with rice, like I used to do at home but maybe this is too primitive at another family's dinner table. I coat the rice with a little bit off fish sauce, with lemon.. OOH SO YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment