Monday, January 2, 2012

Bacolod

Half done houses Rusty corrugated tin roofs Sweating through my underwear People love to stare Telling my family I lost weight so I can gain weight here After almost 24 hours since I've left Melbourne, I've arrived. I'm here and happy to be here with my family. The second thing my cousin said to me is 'We'll drink soon' My estranged family know me too well. This is my second home!
My family in Bacolod live in what they call a compound, a large block of land with two main double storey buildings. Within this compound, three families live, with room for at least another familiy and extended family. It is the Tan Family compound situated on of the oldest and main streets in Bacolod. Mabini is the name of a local hero. The compound frontier features my Tito Manuals electronics repair shop/school 'Waysonics' and my Tita Alice's Eatery/resturant. That building is a run down building. Mum says its the only one on the street that hasnt been renovated. There is another building laid 90 degrees to that which houses another two families. There are three families here in total.
There is a small courtyard in the centre of this lot. It feautres a bahay kubo (small house) that the family sit under and talk. The perimetre is lined with pot pants. Everything here is either concrete or wood. The courtyard is where we have our family parties for xmas and other major occasions.
Upstairs in the first building is where my grandpa and grandma live but now its abandoned and haunted. features framed old photos. eaten away by termites, the wooden has shrunk and expanded and is now fallin from the celing. Its a same because its a beautiful house, with overlooking balconies on both sides. The windows are left open and all the dust and dirt enter. There is hard wood furniture... cabinets, floor to ceiling wardrobes, a piano and a large family dinning table with high back chairs with the chinese symbol for happiness printed on the back. very pretty. I want to convince mum to take it back to australia for me. I want it. but it will have to go through quaintine ... it will cost a shit load to transfer to australia...
Stamps on my passport baby

No comments:

Post a Comment