Monday, January 9, 2012

Saving Humanity

Day Eight
Holy Infant Nursery Foundation. It was our first day of volunteer work at the orphanage in sum-ag. Tita Dudith was aware of the fact that I am a graphic designer and I can work wtih computers so today she put me in the office while sheila played with the toddlers :( i worked on a pretty new computer, Windows platform, flat LCD screen with surprisingly CS3 Photoshop! You can tell it was a brand new windows computer because it didnt lag much (although the program did close on me unexpectedly and I lost all my work stupid Windows computers). Must be a generous donation from someone.
I was asked to made a certificate for someone who had donated items for the children.
Certificate of Appreciation to
Eric D. Garces
for his generous donation of diapers, rice, towelettes and noodles
My advise was not to right it so specifically.. its not so professional but I've gotten used to that here. Let them have their way. Sheila said they were really grateful for this certificate because neither knew how to make something like that. It was my university assignments all over again. I hadnt touched Photoshop in months! I was rusty but I enjoyed it. After I quickly saw the babies that sheila had played with. I met a Kevin, a child with celebral palsy who would not walk or talk. Hes very cute with fair skin and black hair. Sheila fell in love with him. I looked around and saw the other babies where sleeping on cots without matress, just straight on the planks of wood. I bent down to one of the babies still awake. His face reminded me of my dads cousins' child. Same big eyes and he just stared at me. He wouldnt even be one years old. I thought how can a mother just abandon her child? We are here volunteering to wash, feed, play with these children but as we do this, we are thinking many things.
I go home and think about the kids. I thought about my communication design profession and how I helped today. I remembered the wish I made at the NGV International fountation on August 3, 2011. I wished that I could use my design knowledge to make a better world. Perhaps this is my path?
Holy Infant Nursey Foundation
I cut my finger and toe nails under the bahay kubu. In a few minutes I see my nails on the floor moving. The small ants are struggling to carry it away. Idiots. they are taking it away to build patchwork houses like the philippino people. I tell vince, he says that even the ants are poor.
It's established now that my hobbies here in the Philippines is scratching my mosquito bites

No comments:

Post a Comment