Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Escada

Day Three
Forest Park
Animal Conservation
Chow King
SM
I fucked up big time today at SM. I'm looking for cheap sunnies to wear to the beach, sunnies that I can throw into my bag and sit on and not care about. I looked in the sunglass section with brands such as Ray Bans, Armani Exchange, Givenchy, D&G unaware that this may be the expensive type. Unlike Australian department stores, Filippino stores categorised their goods according to expensive and cheap. So the cheap sunglasses are separated from the expensive ones and I wasnt paying attention to this.
I saw a nice pair, irregular shaped frames, simple gold detailing, all black tint by Escada. I've never heard of that brand before. It was 10% off which brought it down to 1,100 pesos, okay sweet $24 for a pair of glasses... But at the counter I was charged 11,000 pesos, I got confused and didnt see that extra zero!! so my $24 sunnies easily turned into a $244 pair of sunnies!! oh gosh. I paid and realised after. I dont think they have a refund policy there. I guess I wont be wearing these sunnies at the beach.
Oh well, money is money.
Besides accidentally blowing $220 more than I was meant to I bought a couple skirts, some shell rings and gifts for my friends - coffee cigarettes and vanilla flavoured cigars.
I had Halo Halo at Chow King, the first time in four years (I had halo halo in Dubai last year about it tasted like shit so it doesnt count). Food porportions are small here, so being the pigs that our countries conditioned us to be, me and sheila ordered large halo halo and large ice tea. The 'petite' filo trend (due to availability and economy) meant that our lichi flan and ice cream scoops were minature. But the melted creamy ice at the bottom of the cup was very rewarding. Mmmm halo halo.
ChowKing Halo Halo
We visited the animal conservation and saw many animals that are native to the Philippines and are currently either vulnerable, endangered or critically endangered on the extinction scale. We saw bats, owls, spotted deer and Poomba from the Lion King. Sheila told me she used to volunteer there for many weeks, feeding the animals, caring for them, sweeping the walkways and touring visitors.
Animal Conservatory
Spotted Deer
Pumba
Strange plant
We strolled through the Lagoon Park which features a large water fountain and public artworks. A gold statue of a masucline guy controlling a karabao. on the other side of the fountain is a woman, dressed in traditional filippino gear posing with the karabao. The karabao is used to help plow rice fields in rural areas. The karabao is the national animal of the Philippines because it symbolises strength, hard work and patience.
Capitol Building

Karabao at Lagoon Park
Last night it rained. it was a nice change to the glaring sun here. The male cousins and uncles where sitting around the bahay kubo (little hut) drinking San Miguel and smoking cigarettes. What a nice life these people have. My mum comes tomorrow morning to ruin my holiday. I tell my cheeky cousins tonight is the night to drink up because mum will be here and she will tell me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment